Looking for a past CBHL publication? for a great presentation or handout at last year’s annual meeting? for different resources useful to botanical and horticultural librarians?
Tools for the Plant Librarian could be the place to find this information.
Note: This section is currently under development. Please, contact CBHL webmaster for additions or corrections.
The Biodiversity Heritage Library works collaboratively to make biodiversity literature openly available to the world as part of a global biodiversity community. BHL also serves as the foundational literature component of the Encyclopedia of Life.
The Digital Library of the Royal Botanic Garden (CSIC) is an online information resource about botanical bibliography of the Iberian Peninsula, Balearic Islands, Macaronesia, North Africa, Mediterranean region and Latin America publications; and also to provide the largest possible collection of essential works, journals, and other botanical works (historical, floristic, taxonomic, etc.; both cryptogams and phanerogams).
Gallica provides access to documents digitized by the Bibliothèque nationale de France but also by partner libraries. Books in French but also in other languages.
Plant Information Online is a resource to discover sources in 1003 North American nurseries for 90007 plants, find 301789 citations to 181088 plants in science and garden literature, link to selected websites for images and regional information about 18094 plants, and access information on 2769 North American seed and nursery firms. Plant Information Online is a free service of the University of Minnesota Libraries.
Articles about botanical and horticultural libraries
- Warnement, Judith, “Cataloguing and curation of ethnobiological books and archives”, Chapter 13, pp. 183-00, in: Salick, Jan, Katie Konchar and Mark Nesbitt, Curating biocultural collections: A handbook, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, in association with Missouri Botanical Garden Press, 2015. 406 p.
- Hassert, Rita, “The library in a public garden”, appendix E (3 p.), in: Rakow, D. & S. Lee, Public Garden Management. John Wiley & Sons, 2011. 416 p. Read online on Google Books
- Fescemyer, Kathy, “The Council on Botanical and Horticultural Libraries”, Journal of Agricultural & Food Information, 11 (2, 2010): 73-80. Read excerpt : Importance of botanical and horticultural information.
- Schmidt, Diane et al. Guide to reference and information sources in plant biology, 3rd ed. Libraries Unlimited, 2006. 296 p.
Digital version for the URLs and annotations for the Web-accessible resources listed available at: http://www.library.illinois.edu/bix/plantbiowebresources/
- Clewis, Beth. “Botanical and horticultural libraries in the U.S.: a survey of CBHL member libraries”, Special Libraries, 80 (3, 1989): pp. 179-187.
- MacPhail, Ian, “Information Resources for Botanical Gardens”, AABGA Bulletin, 15 (3, 1976): 90-95. Read online
- Reed, John, “Problems of horticultural and botanical libraries”, Arnoldia, 30 (1, 1970): 2-8. Read PDF online on Arnoldia archives
- More articles and libraries’ profiles in the CBHL Newsletter.
Past CBHL Publications – Bibliography Series
This occasional series of topical bibliographies prepared by CBHL members covers a diverse range of subjects.
- McKiernan, Gerard. 1978. Desert Gardening: Desert Plant and their cultivation: An Annotated Bibliography. PDF
- Schwartz, Diane. 1978. Vegetable cookery: an annotated list of references. PDF
- Schwartz, Diane. 1978. Edible wild plants: an annotated list of references. PDF
- Schofield, Eileen K. 1983. Botanical crafts: an annotated list of references. PDF
- Zanoni, Thomas and Eileen K. Schofield. 1983. Dyes from plants: an annotated list of references. PDF
- Miasek, Meryl A. and Charles R. Long. 1985. Endangered plant species of the world and their endangered habitats: a compilation of the literature. PDF
- Schofield, Eileen. 1988. Cooking with vegetables, flowers and fruits: an annotated list of references. PDF
- Miller, Heather S. 1990. Children and gardens: an annotated bibliography of children’s garden books 1829 to 1988. PDF
Note: The Plant Bibliography Series has been discontinued as of May 1999.
Other subject-related bibliographies:
- Fish, Elsie. 1974. Wildflowers of North America: A selected, annotated bibliography of books in print. Library of The New York Botanical Garden. PDF
- CBHL. Nursery and Seed Catalogs: A directory of collections, rev. ed. 1990. 89 p. PDF
Why I am a CBHL member
Winners Announced for [...]
The CBHL 2017 Annual Literature Award for a work that makes a [...]